23rd JULY 2005 SHARM EL SHEIKH EGYPT BOMB BLASTS

Isis militants call on allies to spread terror and beheading to Egypt and strike near tourist resort of Sharm el-Sheikh

  • Isis has called on insurgents in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula to spread terror
  • The Sinai Peninsula is home to the popular tourist resort of Sharm el-Sheikh
  • Egypt has faced an Islamist insurgency since President Mursi was ousted
  • Isis spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani called for attacks on ‘disbelievers’ 
  • ‘Kill them any way you can,’ the terrorist said in a statement released online 

Isis has called on insurgents in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula – home to the tourist resort of Sharm el-Sheikh – on Monday to press ahead with attacks against Egyptian security forces and to continue beheadings, an appeal likely to deepen concerns over ties between the militant groups.

Egyptian officials, including the foreign minister, have acknowledged coordination between the two groups but have said there are no Isis fighters in the country. Isis, also known as the Islamic State, controls swathes of territory in Iraq and Syria where it has proclaimed a caliphate.

Egypt has faced an Islamist insurgency since the army ousted President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood last year.

Scroll down for video

Isis has called on insurgents in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula - home to the tourist resort of Sharm el-Sheikh - on Monday to press ahead with attacks against Egyptian security forces

Isis has called on insurgents in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula – home to the tourist resort of Sharm el-Sheikh – on Monday to press ahead with attacks against Egyptian security forces

Chilling: Isis spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani (pictured) called for 'disbelievers' to have their heads cut off and their homes raided

Chilling: Isis spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani (pictured) called for ‘disbelievers’ to have their heads cut off and their homes raided

‘Rig the roads with explosives for them. Attack their bases. Raid their homes. Cut off their heads. Do not let them feel secure,’ IS spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani said in a statement released online.

He praised Egyptian militants for carrying out ‘blessed operations against the guards of the Jews, the soldiers of Sisi, the new Pharaoh of Egypt’.

He added: ‘O America, O allies of America, and O crusaders, know that the matter is more dangerous than you have imagined and greater than you have envisioned. We have warned you that today we are in a new era.

‘If you can kill a disbelieving American or European – especially the spiteful and filthy French – or an Australian, or a Canadian, or any other disbeliever from the disbelievers waging war, including the citizens of the countries that entered into a coalition against the Islamic State, kill him in any manner or way however it may be.’

Sharm el-Sheikh has been targeted by terrorists in the past. Pictured is the destroyed Ghazala Garden Hotel after suffering a bomb attack by militants

Sharm el-Sheikh has been targeted by terrorists in the past. Pictured is the destroyed Ghazala Garden Hotel after suffering a bomb attack by militants

Cameron says ISIS killers are ‘monsters’ not Muslims (related)

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who as army chief last year led Mursi’s ouster following mass protests, has expressed concerns about Islamist militants in Egypt and in other parts of the Middle East.

A militant from the Sinai-based al-Qaeda-inspired Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, which has killed hundreds of Egyptian security forces over the last year, has told Reuters IS has provided instructions on how to operate more effectively.

On Sunday, a bomb attack beside the Egyptian foreign ministry in Cairo claimed by a militant group killed three policemen, including a key witness in a trial of Mursi.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 2 August 2005, 12:16 GMT 13:16 UK

Wife of Egypt bomb suspect killed
The front of the Ghazala Gardens Hotel, Sharm al-Sheikh

Three bombs struck Sharm al-Sheikh killing scores of people

The Egyptian authorities say the wife of one of the men suspected of being behind the bombings in the resort of Sharm al-Sheikh has died.She had sustained injuries during a police operation to arrest her husband, Muhammad Suleiman Felaifil, on Monday.

Mr Felaifil was killed in the exchange of fire near Gebel Ataqa, a hill near the northern town of Suez.

The official Egyptian news agency said the couple’s daughter was also wounded in the operation.

Police had also been seeking Mr Felaifil in connection with bombings in the resort town of Taba in late 2004. Last year’s attacks killed 34 people.

Three explosions last month in Sharm al-Sheikh killed almost 70 people, though hospital officials say bodies still uncounted could bring the toll up to 88.

Last Updated: Wednesday, 27 July 2005, 17:37 GMT 18:37 UK

Anger and resignation in Sharm al-Sheikh
By Lucy Williamson
BBC News, Sharm al-Sheikh

No-one would want Yahya’s job these days. He’s a garbage collector in Sharm al-Sheikh, and his patch covers the site where one of the bombs exploded here last weekend. Recalling it still makes him cry.

Police check underneath a car as it enters old town of Sharm al-Sheikh

Armed police now mingle with the tourists in the town

“I heard the blast”, he tells me, “and I rushed to help. It was a really bad scene. We were carrying children, lots of bodies.“The people who did this, they have no religion. May God have retribution on them.”

Since the bomb attacks here last week, security is high on everyone’s mind. Armed police mingle with bikini-clad tourists.

The roads around the bomb site are still covered with shattered glass, the remains of shop windows blown out in the blast.

One of those windows belongs to Hosni, who runs a shop for tourists in the resort. But now only flies come to buzz over his swimsuits and sunhats.

“This is August”, he says mournfully, “and all the tourists are ready to leave. We have four staff but no customers.”

Hosni sleeps in his shop these days. With all the tourists leaving, he says, he can’t afford to lose his stock.

‘This happens everywhere’

Everyone here is angry about the attacks, but local people are victims twice over. The bombings killed their colleagues and their countrymen, and they also damaged the economy.

For days after the bombings, suitcases piled up in the lobbies of Sharm al-Sheikh’s luxury hotels told the story of tourists frightened away from Egypt’s most successful resort.

Now the bars and pools are gradually filling up again. But the mood is one of resignation or defiance, not holiday spirit.

Ask them why they’re staying, and tourists from Beirut and London have the same response: this happens everywhere now.

The attacks have united Egyptians and foreigners here in the saddest way possible. Hundreds joined a rally in Sharm al-Sheikh this week in protest at the bombings.

But the damage to Egypt’s international image and its valuable tourist industry worries many people.

Watching over his empty shop, Hosni says he doesn’t believe Egyptians could have carried out the attacks.

“I think it’s someone from outside,” he says, “not an Egyptian, because if I want to kill all Egypt, I kill in Sharm al-Sheikh.”

Last Updated: Friday, 19 August 2005, 15:59 GMT 16:59 UK

Egypt resort bomb suspect ‘held’
Egyptian policeman outside bombed building

Police have questioned hundreds of people about the attacks

Egyptian police have arrested a man suspected of planning last month’s bomb attacks in the town of Sharm al-Sheikh, Interior Ministry sources say.Hassan al-Arishi was detained at a house in the northern Sinai peninsula area, the sources said.

Mr Arishi had been using the identification papers of another man to cover his tracks, he added.

At least 64 people were killed when bombs exploded outside two hotels and a market in the Red Sea resort town.

Several groups have said they carried out the attacks, with at least one citing links to the al-Qaeda network.

Earlier this month, police killed another man they said was suspected of helping to plan the Sharm el-Sheikh attacks.

Police said Mohammed Suleiman Felaifil was killed in a shootout near Gebel Ataqa, near the northern town of Suez.

Three other men were reportedly arrested last week.

Reports suggest the other suspects had identified Mr al-Arishi.

On Sunday, the Egyptian state newspaper Al Ahram said investigators had uncovered nearly one metric ton of high explosives at a farm.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2764918/Isis-militants-call-alllies-spread-terror-beheading-Egypt-strike-near-tourist-resort-Sharm-el-Sheikh.html#ixzz3glkDX1LL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s